Going into this year, a lot of his critics have made insane predictions: Trump will lead to a nuclear holocaust, Trump will become a dictator, Trump will institute a Muslim ban, Trump will be impeached, Trump colluded with Russia, etc. None of these ridiculous predictions have come even close to being true.
So let’s take a look at President Trump’s top accomplishments this year:
- Appointed 49-year-old Neil Gorsuch, a textualist and Harvard Law graduate, to fill Scalia’s seat. The left-wing American Bar Association said he was “well-qualified.” So far, he has been more conservative than center-right moderates Anthony Kennedy and John Roberts (In July, Gorsuch’s maiden Martin-Quinn score was 1.344, making him the third most conservative Supreme Court justice). The far-left website Think Progress labeled him as an “extraordinarily conservative.” He will likely serve on the bench for three to four decades.
- The Senate confirmed twelve nominees for the U.S. Court of Appeals: Stephanos Bibas (3rd Circuit), Jim Ho (5th Circuit), Don Willett (5th Circuit), Amul Thapar (6th Circuit), John Bush (6th Circuit), Joan Larsen (6th Circuit), Amy Coney Barrett (7th Circuit), Steve Grasz (8th Circuit), Ralph Erickson (8th Circuit), Allison Eid (10th Circuit), Kevin Newsome (11th Circuit), Greg Katsas (D.C. Circuit).
- The Senate also confirmed six nominees for the U.S. District Courts: David Nye (Idaho), Scott Palk (Oklahoma), Donald C. Coggins Jr. (South Carolina), Timothy Kelly (DC), Trevor N. McFadden (DC), Dabney L. Friedrich (DC).
- Slashed the Corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent
- Cut individual income tax rates on all brackets
- Doubled the standard deduction
- Doubled child tax credit
- Ended the Obamacare individual mandate
- Approved drilling in ANWR (see above)
- Punished high-tax blue states like California, New York, and New Jersey by capping the SALT deduction to $10,000
- Eliminated the corporate Alternative Minimum Tax
- Keystone Pipeline approved
- Dakota Access Pipeline approved
- ANWR drilling approved
- Withdrew from Paris Climate Accord
- New coal plant in Somerset County, Pennsylvania
- 60 energy-related regulations repealed
- Issued a $3.7 billion lifeline to Nuclear Industry
- Repealed net neutrality, Obama’s regulations on the internet
- Eliminated 22 regulations for every new regulation
- The stock market hit over 60 record highs
- The country’s 4.1 percent unemployment rate is the lowest since December 2000
- And the economy grew 3.2 percent from July through September, the highest quarterly economic growth in three years
- Almost eliminated ISIS – only 1,000 Islamic State fighters remain in Iraq and Syria, and lost 98 percent of their territory (mostly since Trump took office)
- Recognized Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, moving the embassy to Jerusalem in 2020
- Decertified the Iran Deal
- instituted a Travel Ban, which was upheld by the Supreme Court
- Cancelled Obama’s deals with Cuba
- Successful launched 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles on Syria after the Khan Shaykhun chemical attack
- Withdrew from the Trans-Pacific Partnership
- Kept sanctions on Russia, hurting their economy
- Provided anti-tank missiles to Ukraine to help defend themselves against Russia
This article was originally published on Politicus Dominum’s Genius Trump blog.