Connect with us

Politics

Court Again Lets Texas Abortion Law Stand

Published

on

Texas can continue banning enforcing its tough new abortion restriction after a federal appeals court on Thursday rejected the Biden administration’s latest attempt to undo a novel law that has become the nation’s biggest curb to the practice in nearly 50 years.

It pushes the Texas law closer to returning to the U.S. Supreme Court, which in September allowed the state to move ahead with banning abortions once cardiac activity is detected, usually around six weeks. No exceptions are made in cases of rape or incest.

Since then, Texas women have sought out abortion clinics in neighboring states, some driving hours through the middle of the night and including patients as young as 12 years old.

The new decision by the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals extends a previous order that for now keeps in place the Texas law known as Senate Bill 8. It marks the third time since October that the conservative-leaning appeals court has sided with Texas and let the restrictions stand.

Advertisement

It leaves the Justice Department and Texas abortion providers with a narrowing path to try stopping the law, which has thus far prevailed because of a unique structure that leaves enforcement up to private citizens. Anyone who brings a successful lawsuit against an abortion provider for violating the law is entitled to claim at least $10,000 in damages, which the Biden administration says amounts to a bounty.

Despite numerous legal challenges both before and after the law took effect Sept. 1, only once has a court moved to put the restriction on hold — and that order only stood for 48 hours.

During that brief window, some Texas clinics rushed to perform abortions on patients past six weeks, but many more appointments were canceled after the 5th circuit moved to swiftly reinstate the law. The Biden administration could now seek a rehearing or go straight to the Supreme Court, just as abortion providers unsuccessfully tried in August.

Texas had roughly two dozen abortion clinics before the law took effect, and operators have said some may be forced to close if the restrictions stay in place for much longer.

Already the stakes are high in the coming months over the future of abortion rights in the U.S. In December, the new conservative majority on the Supreme Court will hear Mississippi’s bid to overturn the landmark Roe v. Wade decision that guarantee’s a woman’s right to an abortion.

Advertisement

A 1992 decision by the Supreme Court prevented states from banning abortion before viability, the point at which a fetus can survive outside the womb, around 24 weeks of pregnancy. But Texas’ version has outmaneuvered courts so far due to the fact that it offloads enforcement to private citizens.

Texas Right to Life, the state’s largest anti-abortion group, set up a tipline to receive allegations against abortion providers but has not filed any lawsuits.

© Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

House passes bill to fund govt. through February

Published

on

The sun sets at the the Capitol in Washington, Thursday, Dec. 2, 2021, with the deadline to fund the government approaching. Republicans in the Senate are poised to stall a must-pass funding bill as they force a debate on rolling back the Biden administration's COVID-19 vaccine mandates for some workers. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

The sun sets at the the Capitol in Washington, Thursday, Dec. 2, 2021, with the deadline to fund the government approaching. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 5:33 PM PT – Thursday, December 2, 2021

The House has passed a bill to extend government funding through Feb. 18.

The measure passed on Thursday and is now headed to the Senate where it faces a partisan battle. Some Senate Republicans have indicated they will push for a shutdown in an effort to fight Joe Biden’s OSHA vaccine mandate. Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) told reporters he’s hoping the bill will pass through the upper chamber by Thursday night.

In the meantime, Biden said he doesn’t believe a government shutdown will happen this weekend.

Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Biden suggested there wouldn’t be a federal shutdown unless somebody decides to do something erratic. This comes after lawmakers in the House agreed on a bill that would fund government agencies until Feb. 18.

While Biden seems confident a shutdown won’t happen, again, a few Republican senators have threatened to not support the measure unless they are able to vote on defunding COVID-19 vaccine mandates on businesses.

Advertisement



Lawmakers in the Senate have a deadline of midnight on Friday to take action.

MORE NEWS: Australian Man Arrested For Escaping Quarantine Camp

Continue Reading

Politics

Murder suspect arrested in shooting of Jacqueline Avant

Published

on

FILE - Jacqueline Avant, left, and Clarence Avant appear at the 11th Annual AAFCA Awards in Los Angeles on Jan. 22, 2020. Jacqueline Avant was fatally shot early Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2021, in Beverly Hills, Calif. (Photo by Mark Von Holden Invision/AP, File)

FILE – Jacqueline Avant, left, and Clarence Avant appear at the 11th Annual AAFCA Awards in Los Angeles on Jan. 22, 2020. Jacqueline Avant was fatally shot early Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2021, in Beverly Hills, Calif. (Photo by Mark Von Holden Invision/AP, File)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 6:20 PM PT – Thursday, December 2, 2021

Police arrested 29-year-old Aariel Maynor during a burglary call for the murder of Jacqueline Avant.

Law enforcement announced the arrest on Thursday, after the wife of music executive Clarence Avant was shot and killed in their Beverly Hills home Wednesday. Police said Maynor was arrested after he accidentally shot himself in the foot during another burglary in the Hollywood Hills and surveillance footage uncovered his tracks.

Authorities believe the shooter acted alone, but are still investigating potential accomplices.

“The motives in this case are still unknown and we’re investigating all possible motives. And we will not speculate on anything that’s out there, if this was a robbery attempt or not,” said Chief Mark Stainbrook of the Beverly Hill Police Department.

Advertisement



Authorities confirmed Clarence and a security guard were home at the time of the shooting, but remained unharmed.

Meanwhile, the family and neighboring community continue to mourn over the loss of 81-year-old Jacqueline Avant as the investigation continues to unfold.

MORE NEWS: House Passes Bill To Fund Govt. Through February

Advertisement



Continue Reading

Politics

NYPD: Incident at UN not terror-related

Published

on

New York police officers gather near the UN headquarters in New York City, New York on December 2, 2021. - The United Nations headquarters in New York was cordoned off on Thursday during a police stand-off with a lone man apparently holding a gun outside the venue, officials said. "The UN headquarters is closed, there is police activity," a UN spokesman told AFP. (Photo by Yuki IWAMURA / AFP) (Photo by YUKI IWAMURA/AFP via Getty Images)

New York police officers gather near the UN headquarters in New York City, New York on December 2, 2021. (Photo by YUKI IWAMURA/AFP via Getty Images)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 3:06 PM PT – Thursday, December 2, 2021

A man was arrested Thursday morning, after an hours-long standoff, which prompted a lockdown at the UN complex in Manhattan. The New York Police Department (NYPD) said the incident is not terror-related.

During a press conference on Thursday, officials said the man seen pacing along the front entrance with a loaded shotgun at one point to his head, surrendered peacefully. He reportedly drove from Florida, checked in to a nearby hotel a few days prior, and wanted papers delivered to the UN headquarters.

Police confirmed the documents were some sort of medical records. The man was soon taken to a local hospital for observation.

Police said the bomb squad swept his hotel and truck, and determined there was no outstanding threat to the public. While they are not releasing the suspect’s name, they say he doesn’t have a criminal record.

In the meantime, operations are back to normal at the facility, charges are pending against the man, and an investigation is underway.

MORE NEWS: Pence: ‘I Know I Did The Right Thing’ On Day Of Jan. 6

Advertisement



Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending