Connect with us

World

Philippines group seeks to bar Marcos Jr. from election for tax evasion

Published

on

November 17, 2021

MANILA (Reuters) -A group opposing the candidacy of the son of late Philippines dictator Ferdinand Marcos for next year’s presidential race will ask the election commission on Wednesday to bar him from running because he has been convicted for tax evasion.

Called the Campaign Against the Return of the Marcoses and Martial Law, the group will file a petition for the disqualification of Ferdinand Marcos Jr after he emerged as the frontrunner https://reut.rs/3cgfgEC for the May election.

Former congressman Satur Ocampo, one of the group’s convenors, said the petition, like one filed by another group, is grounded on Marcos’s over two-decade old conviction for tax evasion.

Advertisement

“Public officials who violate the internal revenue code are perpetually disqualified from holding any public office and participating in election,” Ocampo, who fought the Marcos dictatorship, told Reuters, citing an article of the code.

The late dictator ruled the Philippines for almost two decades until his 1986 overthrow in the “people power” revolution. He died in exile in 1989.

His wife and children have repeatedly denied allegations that billions of dollars of state wealth were plundered while Marcos was in power, estimated in 1987 to be worth $10 billion.

A trial court convicted Marcos Jr of tax evasion in 1995 for failing to file his income tax returns from 1982 to 1985. The conviction was upheld by an appeals court in 1997.

However, Marcos Jr has been elected governor, congressman, and in 2010, as a senator.

Advertisement

Although he ran for public office previously in the past, despite the conviction, Ocampo said “this does not mean it can’t be raised anymore.”

The poll body has scheduled a preliminary conference for Nov. 26 on the earlier disqualification complaint https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/group-seeks-to-bar-marcos-s-son-from-philippines-presidential-election/ar-AAQekCH filed by a group representing political detainees, human rights and medical organisations against Marcos.

Marcos, 64, has said the petition “is without merit and has no legal basis”.

He announced on Tuesday that the daughter of President Rodrigo Duterte has agreed to be his vice presidential running mate, confirming weeks of speculation of an alliance https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/duterte-daughter-joins-marcos-running-mate-philippines-presidential-election-2021-11-16 between two powerful families.

(Reporting by Karen Lema; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan)

Advertisement

Continue Reading
Advertisement

World

Gambians vote for president using marbles in key test for stability

Published

on

December 4, 2021

By Pap Saine and Bate Felix

BANJUL (Reuters) -Gambians cast their votes for president on Saturday using a unique voting system – marbles dropped into each candidate’s ballot drum – to decide a tightly fought election that is seen as a test of stability and democratic progress.

It is Gambia’s first democratic election since former President Yahya Jammeh was voted out of office in 2016.

Advertisement

Jammeh, who was defeated by an opposition coalition that backed current President Adama Barrow, fled to Equatorial Guinea in 2017 after refusing to accept defeat https://reut.rs/31oknjP.

Barrow, a 56-year-old former security guard and property developer, cast his vote in a crowded polling station in the capital, Banjul, accompanied by his two wives.

“I’m happy to see a large turnout from Gambian voters,” he said after voting, adding that he was confident of victory.

Barrow is facing five rivals including his former political mentor, Ousainou Darboe, 73, seen as his main challenger.

Darboe called for calm after the vote, urging his supporters in the tourism-dependent nation not to respond to any provocation.

Advertisement

“Remember, we are in the tourism season, the slightest disturbance in this country will drive away all the tourists,” he said.

Nearly 1 million people from a population of 2.5 million are registered to vote in Gambia, mainland Africa’s smallest country. Turnout is expected to be high, the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) has said.

“I want to see a better Gambia, a far better Gambia than the previous years,” said civil servant Bubacarr Kanteh, 39, outside the polling station.

Before the polls opened, officials carried the voting drums outside to show the queues of voters that they were empty.

Gambians are comfortable with using glass marbles to vote, said Mamadou A. Barry, an official at the IEC.

Advertisement

The system, which was introduced in the 1960s to avoid spoilt ballots in a nation with a high illiteracy rate, is “transparent and fair”, Barry said.

Results are expected by Sunday under the simple majority system.

Other candidates https://reut.rs/3EqrXsH include Essa Mbye Faal, who served as chief counsel of Gambia’s Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations Commission that chronicled the abuses of Jammeh’s rule, and Mama Kandeh, who came third in 2016 and is backed by Jammeh.

As campaigning wrapped up on Thursday, hundreds of jubilant Barrow supporters gathered in downtown Banjul for a final rally, hoping another Barrow term would secure stability as Gambia seeks to put 22 years of Jammeh rule behind it.

Critics, however, say Barrow has broken his promises, pointing to how he backtracked on a pledge to serve only three years after winning in 2016. Barrow has argued the constitution requires him to serve out a full five-year term.

Advertisement

(Reporting by Pap Saine and Bate FelixWriting by Bate Felix and Alessandra PrenticeEditing by Sandra Maler and David Clarke)

Continue Reading

World

Thousands protest over Dutch coronavirus restrictions

Published

on

December 4, 2021

UTRECHT, Netherlands (Reuters) – Several thousand people gathered in the central Dutch town of Utrecht on Saturday to protest against new coronavirus restrictions that came into force last weekend.

Protesters walked through the streets of the town carrying banners saying “Medical Freedom Now!” and waving Dutch flags. A heavy police presence was visible along the route of the march.

It is the first major demonstration in the Netherlands against the measures, which include a nighttime closure of bars, restaurants and most stores to stem a record-breaking wave of COVID-19 cases that is threatening to overwhelm the country’s healthcare system.

Advertisement

The Netherlands saw violent protests two weeks ago after the government announced plans to ban most people who have not been vaccinated from public places. Those plans face widespread opposition in parliament, including from parties in the governing coalition and have not been put into place yet.

(Reporting by Stephanie van den Berg; Editing by Alex Richardson)

Continue Reading

World

Germany’s Social Democrats back coalition agreement

Published

on

December 4, 2021

BERLIN (Reuters) – Members of Germany’s Social Democratic party (SPD), which narrowly won a federal election in September, voted on Saturday to back a coalition agreement with the Greens and Free Democrats that should allow the three-way alliance to take over next week.

The coalition, the first at federal level between the ideologically disparate Greens, the libertarian Free Democrats (FDP) and Olaf Scholz’s centre-left SPD, will end 16 years of conservative governments led by Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Greens and the FDP also need the approval of their members for the deal that the three parties agreed last month. They hope the lower house of parliament, the Bundestag, will vote Scholz in as chancellor on Wednesday.

Advertisement

The “traffic light” alliance, named after the parties’ respective colours, will usher in a new era of relations with Europe, and plans to speed up digitalisation of the continent’s biggest economy and put a focus on fighting climate change.

(Reporting by Emma Thomasson; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending